Monday, July 23, 2007

Weary Monday

I'm glad I was warned, in person and via books, that writing is a difficult job. Rewarding, yes. Challenging, very. I find it hard to get past wanting to edit my work as I go - which I do for emails and posts like these - and let my mind create. I can have an image running like a movie through my mind, but my fingers don't get the needed signals to type. Perfectionism at "play."

Still, I feel that I am making progress. I sent another version of my interview with Austin mystery writer Karen MacInerney - who mentioned me on her blog - from over a week ago to the portal for my latest internship. Next up is creating a profile of GIS trainer and career management adviser Karen Steede Terry for publication in the Oak Hill Gazette. Interning early and often is paying off already. Seeing my piece on Lucila Velez turned me into a giddy girl that I haven't been in years. Once that's complete, I can write another profile, this time of local judge and romance novelist Evelyn Palfrey. Who knew that romantic suspense for the "marvelously mature" could be so interesting to a young woman?

MacInerney and Palfrey were wonderful to meet with, and so encouraging. To be considered one of the interesting people they've respectively met is a honor. And I'm grateful that my supervisor at the Gazette emailed me about Full Time Woman, Part Time Career. Ms. Terry is an example to women everywhere, and to anyone who wants to work from home.

Unfortunately, I have to move on to my grad school papers tonight. One's due Sunday night, and I'm not putting it off until the last minute. Nor am I pulling an all-nighter for the big paper. I may be young, but I don't care for the bone-tiredness anymore.

No comments: