Wednesday, March 2, 2016

First post for a 500 words per day challenge (getting caught up)

Why am I doing the Jeff Goins 500 words per day writing challenge?

Simple. I need to re-establish the writing habit for starters. After all, I've had the writing bug since I was 14 years old and had discovered fanfiction. I had already been writing to pen-pals for four years by then, encouraged by my family so I would learn how to write. (I think handwriting was the key factor.) I've been through periods where I hardly wrote at all, and I discovered that made for a very unhappy Kendra.

What I really want now is to get my writing career off the ground. I want to see the stories I've been working on become polished and publishable. I want to see those make me a living at writing.

But most of all, I think I'm doing this because I'm frustrated with parts of my life.

500 words a day is nothing to someone who's done NaNoWriMo every year since 2010, and won each year since 2011. My daily average during NaNo or Camp NaNo is at least three times this challenge. Some days I've managed over 10,000 words. (Yes, I had the day off those days. But I often still managed at least par even on days where I worked double shifts.)

Yet it is a good goal for someone who is considering also making money from copywriting. I want to establish such a strong pattern in my core that I'm beating any goal set before me.

What's stopping me in my tracks is the not knowing where to start with the training. I've signed up for several writing and self-publishing courses. Yet I've allowed life to overwhelm me and delay my start.

I feel like it'd be a gutsy move to make my theme for this month exploring the emotions and thoughts that are holding me back. I moved to another state to start a career as a coach and teacher, and it's taking longer to estabish success than I had expected. Enough that I needed to take a second job that's now drumming up the majority of my income. I had expected to be out of that particular industry, which makes me even more frustrated.

Could this frustration really be fear? Or is it that I've lost so much touch with my instincts that I've stopped trusting in the things that motivated me to succeed before? I went through an on-line masters program, so meeting deadlines isn't the issue.

Or so I believe. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe the issue is more about enforcing my own promises to myself, holding them sacred and worth honoring. That's something I feel I've had trouble with lately, and my goal is to work on that with this course. I somehow missed the prompt for Day 1, and so I also spent time writing over 800 words of fiction as a prompt for someone I owed a story to. (A secret Santa thing.)

And even that ran into trouble. I kept stalling and pausing. Partly because I wasn't entirely sure where the story was going. I knew the prompt, but getting it to a natural conclusion wasn't coming easily. I don't think the problem was that I was also listening to friends (I was writing at a write-in established by members of the local NaNoWriMo group) I hadn't seen in two weeks. I think it was the lack of thinking about the arc.

That's sometimes been a theme with me. If I don't plan ahead things don't go well. I seem to work best with a plan to guide me, and then sometime winging the details. At least where my NaNo projects are concerned. With other things I have to plan more of the details so I know what to do and when to do it. That makes my jobs run smoother.

I also have to recognize when do I work at my best, which leads me to the Day 3 prompt from the challenge (which technically hasn't started for me as I'm still on March 2 as of the moments I'm writing this). It suggested getting up 60-90 minutes early each day.

This one I balk at. Why? Because one of my priorities for my well-being is sleep, and that means getting enough each night. I had to arrange to give up one of the classes I taught because I was losing so much sleep getting up to teach it that it had to be why I got sick each term. My immediate family are all night owls. We naturally don't fall to sleep early and therefore need to sleep in later than most.

Now, I've heard some claim that early birds are more productive. I feel that those who know their own rhythms and how to work with them do the best, whether they're early birds or night owls. I've had times of great writing productivity staying up late, or answering the call from my muse when I couldn't sleep.

For me the key is planning ahead and figuring out what needs doing sooner rather than later. I even bought two different planners to help me with this.

But tools are no good if you don't use them.You could have a fabulous system, but if you don't pick it up daily and work with it how will it work for you? When I used the Franklin Covey planners regularly they worked great.

I'm trying the Productivity Planner and the Passion Planner. The former is for establishing a record of the most important things to do for five days each week. It makes sense to focus on the work week of most of the work since I've tended to have very full weekends – usually with work. It lets me see things move from the To-Do list to the Done list, which is very satisfying to see grow. The latter is meant for longer-term plans. Say a few months out to maybe preparing for a year-long plan. And it's flexible in how I could use it.


We shall see how they work for me. For now the goal is to establish new habits.

No comments: